Thursday, November 6, 2014

Galoyabe!! My permanent site!


Hiiri e jam (Good evening!)

So much has happened! I found out my permanent site. I am going to a small village of ~1,500 people called Galoyabe. It is in the Matam region which is in the North of the country. It is very dry and hot. It reminds me of Wyoming. But I absolutely love it there! I went and stayed at my site for 3 days with my predecessor and it was absolutely amazing! During my time at my site I got my new name, which is Isata (or Acca, pronounced Acha) Sen. I met my family, there are so many of them! I have 3 brothers and there 3 wives who live in my compound. In total they have 9 young children who are absolutely adorable. And my host mother and host father who are very sweet. And there are a couple other people that I’m not quite sure how they are related.
We visited my master farm, which has so much potential. Future projects, my predecessor and I discussed include: building a chicken coop, grafting some fruit trees, demo beds with field crops (chemical vs. natural pesticides, amendments vs no amendments, double digging vs topsoil tilling, etc). I met the master farmer, who I will work very closely with, his name is Djiibi (pronounced Jeebee) and he is very helpful and excited to work with me.
After we visited the masterfarm we visited the women’s garden that my predecessor worked very closely with (he actually acquired a grant to have it built for them). The women all greeted me and said the absolute sweetest things about my predecessor and their joy and excitement to work with me. I almost cried it was so touching.
I met the Jom Wuro (Village Chief) of my village. I met the vice principal of the school in my village. I hope to work very closely with the school; hopefully I can set up a school garden and do some classes on nutrition with the children. I met the Jom Wuro of the neighboring village, it’s called the Fulbe village.
The Fulbe village is actually a group of refugees from Mauritania, who left because of the violence occurring there. I don’t know much about it now but I plan on learning much more about the conflict in Mauritania. I am very close to the border of Mauritania. I am also very close (I think 15km) from the nearest city, Orisogea (not spelled right at all, also this is where my regional house is, so I am very close to internet).
Anyways back to village life. I ate with the women of my host family, one day we fit about 12 people around the bowl. At night we slept on the roof, which had an amazing breeze. The stars in the north of the country are unlike anything I have ever seen. The air is so dry, the sky is so clear, and there is absolutely no light pollution… It’s phenomenal!
I am so very excited to start working in my village after having visited. My predecessor did such and amazing job gaining the respect and love of the community and now they are very excited to have me and that is wonderful going into. I am excited for all of the projects I will get to work on. I am excited to get to know the members of my community better. I can’t wait to go back!
But right now, I am back at the training center, doing tech classes (which are super great and helpful) and Saturday we are going back to CBT for the next 2 weeks. I am excited to see my host family again. I called them twice since I have been away. Talking on the phone in Pulaar is so extremely difficult. But my nene loved hearing from me! Also finally talked to my parents back home! Please call me again and give my number to the family so they can call me too (It should be free for you to call me!) Anyways! I love you guys!! Ask me questions!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are super excited. Glad to hear you will have internet. hahaha

    ReplyDelete